fbpx

Five Foods You Shouldn’t Feed Your Dog

When it comes to man’s best friend, we want to treat them with the utmost care and love; sometimes, that means giving them a little extra treat. By now, most owners know that dogs aren’t allowed to have chocolate, as it is toxic to them and can even be deadly in extreme amounts. However, there are other foods you should keep away from your furry friend, too. Here are five more foods you shouldn’t feed your dog to help keep them happy and healthy.

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins should be avoided by your dog because they contain high concentrations of tartaric acid and potassium bitartrate, which, when ingested, can cause digestive issues, including kidney damage and renal failure. If your dog eats grapes and shows any signs of distress, an immediate trip to the vet should be considered.

Caffeine

Caffeine is an essential part of many morning routines. However, it should never be consumed by a dog. Dogs are much more sensitive to the effects of caffeine, so it should stay out of their reach. Dogs that consume caffeine can experience stomach issues and dangerous hyperactivity with negative heart, muscle, and brain-related symptoms.

Berries and Cherries

A lot of berries, including cherries, can pose a threat to your dog. When a dog consumes berries, it can increase their heart rate and cause seizures or, on the flip side, cause your dog to become lethargic. Though not every berry is toxic to a dog, it is best to avoid them to help keep your dog in the best shape possible.

Raw or Undercooked meat

This may come as a surprise to some, but feeding your dog raw meat can pose a threat to their health. Though you may question that wolves eat raw meat, why can’t your dog? This is because your dog hasn’t developed an immune system to fight disease found in raw meats. Your dog is prone to the same diseases found in raw meats that we are, and it should be avoided to help keep your dog safe.

Some Peanut Butter

Though peanut butter is a known favorite among dogs, some caution should be taken when feeding it to them. Certain peanut butter contains an ingredient called xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. You should read the peanut butter’s ingredients before feeding it to your dogs. If your dog eats peanut butter that contains xylitol, it can cause low blood sugar, liver failure, seizures, and can even be fatal.

By avoiding these dangerous foods, your dog will have a better chance of living life to the fullest, and as a general rule, stick to foods meant for dogs. If you are looking for a comfortable place for your dog to stay while you are away, book them a spot at Hillrose Pet Resort.

Comments are closed.