Keep Your Pets Safe this Halloween
Halloween is a fun time of year; especially for kids. However, this fun holiday can pose some real dangers for your pet and as people in the “pet business” we feel it’s important to provide timely tips that will help you keep your pets safe.
- Keep Candy safely out of your pet’s reach. It’s common knowledge that chocolate is toxic for pets, however many sugar-free candies contain the artificial sweetener Xylitol which is very dangerous for pets if ingested. If you suspect that your pet has ingested xylitol, contact your vet immediately or your local emergency vet. Make sure that your trick-or-treat candy is safely stored well away from your pet’s reach.
- Be careful with your decorations. Everyone loves decorations and Halloween decorations are no exception. However, make sure pumpkins with candles in them are outdoors, and if you are using décor with wires, make sure they are out of your pet’s reach as well.
- Be cautious when dressing your pet. Most pets don’t really like wearing clothing, however there are always those exceptions who do. If you are one to dress your pet for Halloween, make sure the costume is comfortable and doesn’t contain small attachments that can be chewed by your pet.
- Consider kenneling your pet during trick-or-treat time. Halloween night is a busy evening with a flurry of activity as trick-or-treaters come to your door. For their safety, as well as your pet’s, consider kenneling your pet to keep them from darting out the door, or worse, biting a trick-or-treater because they’re scared.
- Board your pet at Hillrose Pet Resort. Boarding your pet at Hillrose for Halloween evening is a great way to keep your pet safe and happy. If you have more than one pet, ask about our Executive Family Suites; this is a great way to keep pets together during boarding.
Halloween should be a fun time for you and your family; make sure it’s a safe time for your pet.