While September marks the beginning of a new school year for many families, if you happen to be a “cat family” you know that September is also Happy Cat month. If you’re not familiar with Happy Cat Month, here’s a little history:
“Happy Cat Month is brought to us by the CATalyst Council to help spread education and awareness about the health, welfare, and importance of companion cats. There’s a misconception that cats are incredibly self-reliant, and just don’t need the kind of molly-coddling you find with dogs. The truth is that cats are incredibly social animals, and they require the same level of care and attention that we lavish on our dogs. But the current idea of what a cat is causing a problem where cats aren’t as enriched, loved, and taken care of health wise as is needed.”
Here at Hillrose Pet Resort, we agree wholeheartedly with this statement. We love cats here at Hillrose so we’d like to offer some tips on how you can ensure that your cat is happy and healthy.
TIPS FOR HAPPY CATS
- Vet Care: If your cat has not been to the vet within the last year, this month is a good time to schedule an appointment with your vet. Good health is the first step toward having a happy cat, and the best way to monitor your cat’s health is with regular vet check-ups.
- Diet: The food that your cat consumes each day is the foundation for his good health. This is a good time to take a look at what you are feeding your cat and make some changes if needed; especially if your cat is getting older. Make sure the food you are offering your cat is nutrient dense and provides everything your cat needs for good health. If you’re unsure, talk to your vet about good options.
- Spend time with your cat: As mentioned above, cats are actually very social animals and they are equally attached to their owners as dogs. Take time to play with your cat; cats are intelligent and can actually be trained to do certain things. Take time to understand your cat’s personality and learn what makes him tick.
- Keep him entertained: Make sure your cat has toys that will keep him or her entertained while you’re away. Cats are also natural climbers and scratchers so make sure he has a climbing tree which offers both.
- Make arrangements for them when traveling: If you know that you will be traveling, don’t leave your cat at home, consider boarding your cat at your local kennel. We offer cat boarding here at Hillrose Pet Resort. Cats love boarding with us because we provide a quiet place for them to roam and play that is separate from dogs. Our staff takes time to care for and interact with cats who are boarding with us.
- Adopt another cat: Finally, if you happen to be a one-cat family, consider adopting another cat. Cats do well when they have a companion. Adopting a cat accomplishes two things: you save the life of the cat you are adopting and you enhance the life of the cat you currently own.
Remember, cats are wonderful companion pets that need and deserve the same amount of care and attention of their canine counter-parts; make sure you are providing all that your cat needs to ensure your cat is happy and healthy.